Nonaknits test drives three methods:
• the wrap stitch short row,
• the yarn over short row, and
• the Japanese short row
Key things to remember about Japanese Short Rows:
- the loop should always be correctly mounted, right leg in front (knit- or purlwise).
- knitwise at the gap, pop the pin's loop onto the left needle, knit loop and next stitch together.
- purlwise at the gap, slip the stitch, pop the loop, then slip the first stitch on the right needle back to the left needle; purl loop and stitch together.
Kaity has a very clear series of photos of what looks like Japanese Short Rows for a sock heel:
Purl Encroachment (a.k.a., Japanese Short Rows) at Hipknitism
Adorabubble's Photo Tutorial - Japanese short rows in the round
Extremely helpful videos showing Japanese Short Rows by MtMom here (skip to 4:20) and here.